Dr. Strangeland or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Taiwan

5.29.2005

Sin City


I went to see Sin City the other night. I don't know how it was received in the West, but the theatre was packed when I went. I was surprised. When I went to see Star Wars there was no one there. But so many people came out to see Sin City I was blown away.

I think that it will be one of those movies that will stay in my mind for a long long time. The visual style was amazing. It felt just like reading a comic book. And it had some of the best lines I have heard in a long time. My favorite had to be when Bruce Willis's character confeses: When it comes to consoling 19-year-old girls, I'm about as expert as a palsy patient performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench. I don't think that this line translated very well, because my friends and I were the only ones in the theatre who were laughing.

6 Comments:

  • No Gwen Stefani lyrics near me, boy. Whenever I hear that stupid bananas song it gets stuck in my brain for days.

    And I'm working on it. Steph told me today I'm putting too much thought into it... I've got everything figured out except for the celebrities part.

    I never thought it would be so hard. I have no idea how Al did his so fast.

    By Blogger Kyle, at 2:10 p.m.  

  • Current Sean Penn. Opinionated, somewhat politically incorrect, has a lot of integrity, etc.

    Just the philosophy of the song as a whole. The angry questioning of religion.

    By Blogger Kyle, at 1:45 p.m.  

  • i've been waiting for that movie poster...

    i took in the original "speed" in cairo, egypt (the last time i'll ever watch an american movie in an islamic country -- or frequent a kfc for that matter). i also found myself laughing at times when everyone else was dead serious especially when keanu reeves or sandra bullock were ripping jokes about blowin' stuff up...

    By Blogger bubba, at 3:42 p.m.  

  • I saw "hero" in Thailand. It was dubbed in Thai with English subtitles. The experience wasn't too bad. The cool thing in Thailand is that they will show a video about the King and everyone has to stand and show respect. I think it's a great way to show patriotism.

    By Blogger parabolicant, at 2:05 a.m.  

  • i think you've read "way of the...warrior" before. what's the deal with that book?

    By Blogger bubba, at 1:33 p.m.  

  • Like it says on the cover it's a bok that changes lives. I read it everytime my life hits turbulence or I have a major shift in my path.

    Lately my life has gone through a shit storm, so I reached for a copy.

    It's new agy, but it really does make you look at what's important in life and helps me to clear my head when there is just too much noise.

    By Blogger parabolicant, at 11:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Read my Guestbook!
Sign my Guestbook!
Sign my book NOW