Dr. Strangeland or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Taiwan

5.22.2005

Mike by Numbers

1. The number of times I have eaten snake, pigs intestines, chicken neck, chicken heart, duck's tongue, and stinky tofu.
2. How many times I have been accepted to the University of Calgary Education program.
3. How many times I have applied.
4. The number of times that I used a public toilet to have a little sit during my first year in Taiwan. I have a serious diversion to public toilets. It's so bad that I will avoid using them until my only alternative is going in my own pants. Otherwise it is a mad dash home and up five flights of stairs.
5. The number of consecutive times my student said the word fish to me in one conversation.
"I don't like cats or dogs, I like fish."
"OK."
"Fish."
"Gotcha."
"Fish."
"I know, you like fish."
"Fish."
6. The number of days I work every week.
7. The number of hours that I did "actual" work at Indigo while I was in charge of the Music department. (Scheduled hours:34. Store's performance:2nd or 1st in the country.)
8. The number of times I was on time or early for work during my two years of full-time employment at Indigo.
9. The average number of weeks I wait before I pull my baby toenails out. It hurts like an S.O.B., but I can't help myself. I pull them out.
10. Where my volume is usually set.
11. What time I wake up at. I start work at 8, but those first 3 hours are spent in a sleepy haze. Also the number of times I have watched "Encino Man."
12. A time that I would like to go to bed, but just can't seem to do.
13. My digestive cycle in hours.
14. The number of classes I teach at the High School. Each class has an average of 25 students. You do the math.
15. One of my favorite ages. Learning to drive, the excitement of youth and the thrill of adolesence.
16. The number of beers I used to be able to drink in one night. (Now if I have more than 4 I am a mess in the corner.)
17. The number of times I have unsuccessfully tried to read "Gravity's Rainbow."
18. The number of times I have seen the movie "Fight Club."
19. The number of hours I am awake in one day.
20. A number I like to say repeatedly in a jive accent. "Twehnay twehnay twehnay!!"
21. The number of times in one day that I will compulsively touch my wallet when I drive to make sure that it hasn't fallen out of my pocket.
22. The age at which I became disenfranchised with Canadian politics.
23. My age when I graduated from University.
24. The time in minutes that it seems to take me to get to any job from my house. In canada and Taiwan.
25. My scary age. I was terrified of turning 25. Something about being "Quarter-Century Man" just freaked me out. Also the number of CDs that I own by the Chemical Brothers.
26. The number of balls I will hit at the driving range.
27. My present age.
28. The number of Nine Inch Nails CDs that I own.
29. The age at which I'd hoped to graduate from University.
30. The age at which I will graduate from University.

Miscellaneous Numbers
1191 - the Number of CDs that I presently own.
73 - the number of DVDs that I own.
6 - the number of times my balls shrink up in fear each day while I drive.
3-4 - The number of students who will continue talking after I tell them to be quiet.
1 - The number of students who will talk after I yell at the class to be quiet. What the hell is this person thinking? Honestly?
10 - the number of television stations I watch in taiwan. There are 105 to choose from.
1272 - The number of stais I climbed to take this picture:

Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Read my Guestbook!
Sign my Guestbook!
Sign my book NOW