Dr. Strangeland or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Taiwan

1.18.2003

I decided that I wanted a new pair of jeans. My last had an unfortunate accident with a sharp piece of metal and were rendered unwearable. I went to the department store and headed to Polo Jeans, figuring that they might have my size.

I pulled from the rack, a pair of carpenter style jeans. I then asked if they had 38 (for my enormous ass and thighs). They said that they only went to 36. I then asked where could I get 38s. I was directed to the 5th floor.

The first store I arrived at was Levi's. Now I have a long sordid history with Levi's. They just don't make a style of jeans that are designed for people like me. The salesgirl tried her best to understand my pidgen-Chinese and gave me a pair of 38 boot cuts. They made it to my knees and refused to go any higher. I then walked out and said (in Chinese) "My legs are really very big. Very fat. Do you have big?" She said something and came back with a pair of 40s. These slid up my legs and buttoned loosely around my waist. The only difficulty was in th groin. It felt like two men had a rope between my legs and were slowly trying to lift me from the floor with it. On to the next store . . .

To make a long story short I tried on 8 pairs of jeans from 5 different shops. At each shop the salesgirls would yell acroos the floor at each other asking if they had sizes for fat legs. I gave up trying on the constricting denim and decided to take my chances with the 36 polos.

I returned to Polo and as I was removing the 36 carpenters from the shelf I spotted a pair of 38 regular cuts. I figured I would try both on just to see. The carpenters fit fine but the price tag of 150 canadian caused me to hesitate. I then tried on the 38s. They were considerably cheaper and felt or so nice, so I bought them.

I was so happy to have finally found a pair of jeans, but I have nevre felt so fat in all my life. Clothes in Taiwan are killers on my ego. Every shop I go to I have to ask for XL and sometimes the article of clothing is still too tight. But in Canada I went to the Gap and an XL shirt was way too big. So I know it's not all my fault.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Read my Guestbook!
Sign my Guestbook!
Sign my book NOW