Dr. Strangeland or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Taiwan

8.22.2004

Living Room's Packed

Well I spent the afternoon home putting all my stuff into boxes and I got my living room done. Tomorrow is the bedroom and on Tuesday is the kitchen and then Wednesday I will go to do a quick onceover cleaning and then Thursday will be moving day (I hope).

The fever is all gone now. I had some pain yesterday, but today I am only a little sore at the bottom of my back. It was a rough go on Friday night, but I only seem to really be affected by this stuff for 24 hours so it's all clear now.

I don't really have too much to report. My summer classes will be ending on Tuesday. Part of me will be relieved and part of me will miss them. And then Yu Da (the high school) will start the next week I think. So hopefully I can be fully set up in my new apartment by then. And when I finally get my new address and phone number I will e.mail to you guys so you can get ahold of me.

In case you are wondering about what happened to me at work on Friday, I'll explain. I went to work at 1:30 feeling absolutely fine. I had classes:

1:30 - 3:30
4:00 - 6:00
6:30 - 8:00
8:10 - 9:40

I guess that's a bit of a lie. When I left my house my knees were a little sore. But since knee pain has been a constant in my life since grade seven, I think nothing of it these days. Then as my 4 o'clock class started I began to feel a little off. And as the class progressed I just got worse and worse. I was in agony. My back was throbbing. My arms hurt and my knees were screaming in horror. And the worst part of the class was that I had to give the poor students oral tests. By the time the tests started I had a headache so bad I couldn't stop rubbing my temples. After the tests I still had 15 minutes of class to kill and didn't know what to do then, or how I was going to teach until 9:40 without passing out. Thankfully some sort of higher power heard my prayers. At 5:50 the power in the building died.

I sent my class home and went downstairs to wait to see if the power would return. Fortunately for me it didn't. There were a few times that the lights flickered on and off, but my prayers remained heard and the lights never came on again. So at 6:30 I was able to head home and recover.

Now the truly miraculous thing about this story is that we were the only building on the whole street without power. I'm talking about 20 stores in total and only ours had no power. Someone up there must really like me for that to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Read my Guestbook!
Sign my Guestbook!
Sign my book NOW